Starting September 1, not only was Al Raja School open for another school year, but the Holy Month of Ramdan also started. Ramadan is the month of fasting, and it shifts forward 10 days every year, as it follows the lunar calender. Fasting during Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam, so it seems like it's one of the most important parts of the religion. As a Christian, I may not understand all of the Ramadan traditions, but I am trying to participate in something called "30 Days of Prayer." This is a movement for Christians to pray for the Muslim world during Ramdan. It helps me to better understand my neighbors, and the spiritual and physical needs that Muslims around the world have. Each day, there is a new region/country/people group to pray for.
You'll never guess the region/people that were on the list for today! I flipped the page to September 21, and saw three letters that brought a smile to my face: USA. (Actually, I am rather happy to be an American of late. But don't worry, in a few months I'll be back to my reluctant state!) And you know what made me smile even more?! The two letters MI. MICHIGAN!!!! Woo-hoo! Yes, today was one of the days to pray for Dearborn, MI, where the largest mosque in North America sits. I thought to myself, "Represent! I've actually BEEN there!"
Speaking of Dearborn, it reminds me of this charming Lebanese restaurant called "La Shish." I have only been there twice, because it is only located in the greater Detroit area. However, when I went to visit my Detroit friends this summer, it was completely closed up. All of the La Shish's are gone forever! Later on, I got the whole story. Apparently, the owners of this establishment were being watched by the US government because a lot of money was being leaked overseas to some not-so-reputable organizations, and so the restaurants are all closed! What a scandal! It almost sounds like it came out of a plot from Alias!
Se-curity, SUH-kurity!
No comments:
Post a Comment