We all know the saying "it never rains, but pours." Well, I have recently felt like this statement would illustrate the last month and a half for me. In fact, I feel like "it never rains, but pours with thunderstorms, hail, and lightning" would more illustrate what I mean. Let me explain.
When I got back to Bahrain, it was a little sad because certain people that I had grown close to last year were no longer here. However, as soon as school started and I got back into the swing of things (read: got back into being a grown-up), I was so excited. Seeing old friends, students, and colleagues, and feeling like I'm not a total failure as a teacher all made me excited to be here for another school year. And then it started to rain. (Figuratively, of course. It never rains in Bahrain.)
After only a week of being back, I started having an extremely sore throat and took antibiotics for having tonsillitis. When that didn't go away, I went to an ENT. 3 times. That's right. I went on 3 separate visits to an ENT within the course of 2 weeks. On our last visit together, he said, "I really hope that you don't have to come back again!" I did too! Having a nasty throat thing going on while teaching is not pleasant.
I had a brief hiatus from sickness while I was on holiday in Oman. This was a glorious time that made me remember what it feels like to be healthy. Unfortunately, when I got back from Oman, it started to "rain" again. I concocted a nasty stomach virus (kind of like the noro virus) and was out from school for two days! I was so dehydrated from this that I drank Gatorade, and that proves that I was desperate! (Generally, I stay away from Gatorade because I just think it's kind of gross!)
If that wasn't any worse, on Wednesday night I got a frantic call from my Dad that I needed to call my American bank. Apparently, someone got a hold of my credit card information and was trying to use it to buy electronic appliances on a website with headquarters in Spain. Sheesh! Luckily, I got that straightened out. Shout out to USAA, a very good and costumer-oriented bank.
So that's my last month and a half, in a rainstorm. I guess that's life. You never know what's going to happen. I'm just bracing myself for the next storm, kind of hoping that it won't happen until I'm completely healthy!
No comments:
Post a Comment