Monday, March 1, 2010

The Fall, Parts 2 and 3

When I first arrived in Kiev in August, I thought about falling in the street, but knew that I would most likely stay upright. Well, in case you missed it, I apparently have been gravitationally challenged only once in this tricky Eastern European city, and I would attribute it to not to actually falling, but to playing around with my ipod while walking. If you missed it, read this.

Now, unfortunately, there is a 2nd AND 3rd part to this story, and part of it is due to the horrible state of the roads in Kiev. Imagine yourself in the midwest, where snow happens for 4 months out of the year, and people bundle up and slush around. This slushing around is possible because people actually shovel and snow plough. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen in Kiev. So, we are all basically skating around on 5 inch deep layers of ice. And you can see lots of people falling all over the place!

However, I pride myself in having somewhat good balance, and I was determined not to fall this winter. Gravity got the better of me two weeks ago, when I plummeted to the cobble-stone ground in the middle of the street next to the Great Gate of Kiev. I was so embarrassed that I immediately jumped up to avoid anyone noticing me. Since I was wearing a bright blue parka, I'm sure SOMEONE noticed, unfortunately. Still, I managed to get up and out of the street without being hit by a car, which is good.

Fast forward to today. The weather has gotten moderately better, and there was a clear path from my apartment to the metro. Or so I thought... Right as I was about to cross the SAME STREET as the last fall, I felt my feet buckle from under me yet again. This was due to tricky black ice that I couldn't spot. And, since I am STILL wearing my bright blue parka, I hurriedly got up before anyone could notice again. Luckily, nothing is broken, and nothing is sore.

The point is, my first fall in Kiev was totally deserved because of bad kharma. BUT, these two falls totally weren't. They were just pure klutz. Lord save me until Spring!!!

No comments: