Friday, March 7, 2008

What Does $6 Get You?!

My dear friends Regina and Sunell live in an apartment building next to a very chic cold store. (Here, there are cold stores on virtually every corner. It's basically like a convenience store.) Anyway, their cold store has a lot of American products inside of it that can't really be found in any other coldstores. Things like cherry coke, black cherry dr. pepper, you get the idea. So, one day I went in to buy a snack for us before going up to their apartment. You'll never guess what I saw: sunchips.

Immediately, I was thrown back into a state of not knowing what was going on, kind of like in that movie "Somewhere in Time", where he takes out the coin from his own time period and realizes that he's not in Kansas anymore. It's the exact same thing. I have not seen sunchips since coming here! I was totally psyched to buy some and have a good, hearty and yummy snack while relaxing with my friends.

When I got to the counter, the guy tallied up what I had (I was also getting a can of cherry coke), and he asked for 2.400BD. That's the equivalent of $6! I was like, Hold the phone!!! What's the deal? And apparently, good old economics come into play here. Obviously, demand is high and supply is WAY low, otherwise there would not be a small bag of $6 chips. The guy was like, "Yes, they are expensive; they come from far away." And I'm like, that's right. They come from my homeland, but I guess I'll just have to wait till I get back there to have some. I put the chips back, paid for my pop, and left.

And that, my friends, is your economics lesson for today. Josh, I sure hope you read this one!

No comments: