Monday, November 12, 2007
PS
I posted earlier today, but I forgot to mention that one of my more negative teaching milestones happened this week. Secondary people don't have to deal with this, and many of them will say that this is a reason why. On Sunday, one of my first graders wet his pants on the walk from my classroom back to the KG/1 section. Now, this particular student had asked if he could go, and since we had only 10 minutes left of class, I said no. Add into the mix that we really only have about 30 minutes of class once you factor in walking to my room and settling down, and I was like, you'll have to wait! But I noticed as we were walking back to class together that he was lagging behind...very far behind. He was also walking slowly (a kind of "walk of shame") and I instantly knew that he had peed in his pants, because he was very deliberate about trying not to let anyone see him. Unfortunately, his entire left pant leg was completely soaked, so it was pretty easy to spot. As soon as the other kinder were up the stairs, I took him straight to the KG/1 supervisor to save him any more possible embarassment from his classmates. And as I walked back to my classroom, I did my own walk of shame. I felt extremely guilty that the poor little guy had to go so bad and I didn't let him go! I did experience this during student teaching, but this is the first time it happened in my actual classroom, and so it kind of hits me with a "ping." I now realize that the KG/1 kiddos are of a completely different breed and that probably even with 5 minutes left, it would be a good idea to let the desperate ones go to the potty!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment