Saturday, October 13, 2007

Accordions, Huzzah!!!

Well, Friends, do you remember how I told you that there are accordions at my school? I just realized that one of my friends from the Manama Singers, Lydia, plays the accordion! So she came over to Al Raja school today and took a look at them with me. They are indeed working! And they're not hard to manage at all. So what does this mean?! I'm learning how to play the accordion!!! And hopefully I'll be able to use it eventually in my teaching. We have five small children's accordions at school, so I'm hoping that eventually the students will be mature enough to handle playing the accordion (and all the other instruments that we have, come to think of it. *sigh* gotta love those kinder!)

Lydia is really cool, and she knows so much about world music. I'm actually kicking myself for not taking world music at Hope, even though it wouldn't fit into my schedule. (Hopefully Julia Randel Thompson is reading this right now and I will win brownie points...hehe, just kidding!) Anyway, Lydia suggested that I start taking lessons on an Arabic instrument, the oud, to learn more about Arabic music. The oud is basically an Arabian version of the lute. So, when I have some time and have a drivers license, I may try to connect with the Bahrain Music Institute and find an extremely cheap oud and learn how to play. It would be jolly good fun!

1 comment:

Zardeenah said...

Sweet times! You can now be a gypsy street musician wandering with your accordion.
Miss ya and thinking about ya.