Chuck's blog is great because he makes a video every week detailing what he's done. I'm telling y'all right now, I probably won't have time to make a video, and haven't so far! However, I am joining Chuck by keeping track of the hours that I work every week for a whole year, starting with the first week of summer vacation this past June. My reason is simple: I would like to raise awareness about how difficult it is to do a good job as a teacher, and that good teachers work just as hard, if not harder, then people with desk jobs. If someone is a teacher, and they claim their job is "easy", then they may not be doing the best job. Of course, that's a vast generalization and I've only taught for 4 years. I understand someone who has taught for 10-20 years may have an easier time preparing for and teaching in an effective way then I do because of their experience.
Here's a summary of my life for the last two years: during the traditional academic year, I have lived and worked as a primary music teacher at an international school in Kyiv, Ukraine. During each corresponding summer, I am in an intensive masters program at Boston Conservatory, where I am basically preparing and taking courses towards a Masters in Music Education for 7 weeks. I'm in my second summer here in Boston. After this summer, I have one more summer, and then I'll be finished with my Masters in Music Education!
What are my reasons for getting a Masters in Music Education, especially after I got a bachelor's in music education?
- As teachers, we are expected to be life-long learners, to always be learning more about teaching, learning and our subject areas. Without the personal stimulation of learning, I would not be able to effectively stimulate others' learning.
- I wanted to learn how to more effectively plan curriculum to increase conceptual understanding of music.
- I felt that I needed to be around music teachers and professors of music to gain tools for my bag of tricks and to learn in a well-rounded way how to better teach music.
- My provisional certificate for the state of Michigan expires in June 2013, and I need to have at least 18 credits in an approved program to get the next level of certification. I figure, why not just go all the way and get a Masters Degree if I'm expected to get that many credits?
So...Here's the link to my personal spreadsheet, which details all of my hours for the last 4 weeks. In case you can't be bothered to look...I've worked a total of 138 hours in the last 4 weeks. And on that note, Happy Summer to you all!
1 comment:
Alicia! How much longer are you in Boston?? I know you said it was intensive, but would you have any time to hang out and catch up in person during your program? I work near the North End and live on the other side of the river in Somerville. Let me know if you've got any time in the evenings or on weekends before you leave!
Post a Comment