Well, it's been a while since I've written about happenings. That's because life seems to be crazy! One of the things that I've kept myself busy with recently is my church's (International Christian Assembly in Kiev) youth group called "The City." It's a group for students age 13-19 from any school in Kiev. Last term, there was an announcement made that this group needed more leaders to help out. I felt God nudging my heart to help out, but couldn't commit to anything at the moment because I was working on a class online for my Masters.
Fast-forward to February: They made an announcement during church that the youth group would be going on a retreat, but that they had NO women leaders coming with them! Since I'm not taking a class this term, and it was the beginning of my school's Half-Term Break, I felt that it was the perfect opportunity to begin to help out with the youth group. I had just one requirement: I was not (nor will I ever) swallow a live goldfish.
You see, when I was in high school, a lot of adolescents in my hometown were involved in this group called Young Life. They would often do completely wild things in order to get more young people to come to club meetings. One of those wild things that they did was try to get more students from one high school to attend then the other, and if they did, one of the leaders would swallow a live goldfish! Although I can join Team Fun for a little while each week, I am simply not fun (read "cool" or "crazy" depending on your disposition) enough to swallow a live goldfish. However, I can be a little "out there" if I want.
Case in point: We wanted to do this skit during the first session to get the student's attention. In this skit, a guy and a girl are on their first date. The girl the guy into her house, and then finishes getting ready in the bathroom. While she's getting ready, the guy realizes that he has forgotten to put on his deodorant! He calls up his buddy and asks for some HELP. Since he is in the kitchen, he eventually ends up using slices of bread to put nutella on his armpits. After all, girls love chocolate, so if he smells like chocolate, she'll love him, right? Well, as the girl comes out of the bathroom, she misunderstands this guy and thinks that he has made her a sandwich before their date. So, she takes that nutella-armpit-sandwich and eats it! AND THAT'S JUST WHAT I DID!
Who's a Monica now? I definitely need Team Fun points for this endeavor!
No comments:
Post a Comment