Despite being bittersweet for me, my housemates really cheered me up with a perfect Birthday activity. We played Settler's of Catan, my favorite board game of all time. I had such a ball with this game. As usual, no one really wanted to trade sheep, the overrated resource. However, as I was playing with my new Bostonian friends, I became very nostalgic. Settlers of Catan is a game that I have shared with so many friends:
- I first learned Settlers when I moved to Bahrain and went on vacation with Josh, Alison and Russ. They were the most competitive people to learn this game from! It was kind of stressful to try and find a place to put my little pieces!! After our trip to Oman, Josh and Alison became engaged and that summer, all 4 of us were present as we witnessed their marriage. (Well, I'm glad the two of them were there, as they were the ones getting married! What I mean is, Russ and I were also there.)
- After I was so well-introduced to Settlers, I began to play it with anyone in Bahrain who would play with me. This continued well into my second year there, when we would stay up late on Friday nights and all of the boys took 2 hours to trade because they were such good hecklers! (You know who you are!) In addition to these friends, I have fond memories of playing Settlers with the Webbs, whom I also babysat for during every Valentine's Day in Bahrain. :)
- By the time I was finished in Bahrain, I was determined to introduce my family to this game, so we purchased it and played it over the summer.
- While in Ukraine, I noticed that one of my colleagues had an un-used game in her classroom, so I borrowed it and taught my South African friends how to play.
- After a while, I realized that a couple in my small group were also avid Settlers players. So, I played a game with Josh (a different Josh) and Robyn, and several other small group friends.
- Finally, I played last night with several new Bostonian friends. It was the perfect way to spend a Birthday. Of course, I didn't win, because Erik happened to swoop in with his abundance of development cards. However, the reactions and vocalizations of frustration were priceless and it was altogether a perfect way to spend a Birthday. (Since I had to go to class pretty much all day yesterday!)
The point is, I am thinking of all those friends whom I have made in the last 3 years. The Lord knows that now they are spread over many, many countries, and several continents! How is it possible to think of all of them at once? I think I did last night.
It seems like the best Birthday present is a reminder that God provided, and continues to provide, amazing people who have blessed my life. He brings them into my life in the most unexpected ways, like a game of Settlers. I am very grateful and thankful for all of these relationships.
Now, does anyone have some wheat? I'll even give you TWO sheep! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment