WARNING: This email contains "girly" or "feminine" material, so gents beware. But, it's still funny, so even if you feel uncomfortable, you'll still laugh at the end.
Today I was in a cosmetics store, and you can only guess what I was looking for. As I went up to the cashier to pay, one of the products that I was attempting to buy wasn't ringing up. So, in as loud a voice as she could muster so that all of the other cashiers could hear, she said, "(something something something in Russian) TAMPAX NORMAL (something something something in Russian)." As this was happening, my face started turning red as I realized that the very busy queues had all heard the lady say TAMPAX very loudly, and so I'm sure they all knew why I was in the store. Thanks, lady, for announcing my Aunt Flo to the entire store! This was definitely one of those very awkward moments, and had I still been in middle school, I would have wished the floor to open up and swallow me! However, it was kind of comically awkward because I looked up with this mortified face at the other girls in my line, and one of them was laughing, because it was kind of funny. Actually, I was kind of laughing too.
Moral of the story: Not everything is said in Russian when the labels are English products!
3 comments:
Glad to know that you can handle anything that life throws at you!
Love M
Very funny, I had a similar experience some time ago now, a lady friend of mine (very close friend but still just a friend) asked me to pick up a box of tampons for her because I was going to the store anyway. Well I thought I would just sneak it through with all the other products I had purchased and nobody would notice. But lo and behold the only item that would not scan was... you guessed it the box of tampons, and a similar event ensued. Its one thing been a female and this happens to you but when it happens to a guy, it's a bit more embarrassing.
oh, pole sana! (So sorry!) I can totally see this happening here, too. Funny how brand names seem to be the familiar way of referring to things all over the world... sometimes, for better or worse!
Post a Comment