Monday, November 3, 2008

Yalla

As I have said in previous posts, some words are just more interesting in other languages. The German words for children and asparagus are two good examples: kinder and spargel (or is it spragel?!). You may wonder if I have any favorite words in Arabic. While I would place my Arabic in the "abysmal" category (seeing as I don't even know the alphabet), I feel that Arabic definitely has one trump word.

As a teacher/counselor/singing coach over the last several years, I have found that one phrase is often used to communicate to the chilluns that they need to get moving. "Let's go" can mean several different things depending on voice inflection, I have found. For instance, it can mean a panicked, "Let's go there's a fire drill and we have to pretend it's real so everyone look at my panic." Then there's the "Let's go, why isn't anyone singing?!" Or, my personal favorite, "Why in the world can't you stand in a line yet?! LET'S GO!"

I have found that in other languages, "Let's Go" sounds so much more eloquent. Andiamo (Italian) seems to be a friendly way of saying let's go. Allons-y (French) seems to be a way of communicating "let's go" while also sounding un peu snob. Arabic, however, takes the cake for "Let's go." "Yalla" seems to be both amiable and fun all at once. And, the students really seem to respond to it. It only propels them into a line about one second faster than when I say it in English, but, you know I'll take what I can get.

So there you have it. Even though I don't know any Arabic characters, I have still found an Arabic trump word. Luckily, it's a word that I can use in the classroom!

No comments: