Well, on Saturday, December 1, I had the opportunity to attend a very special service at St. Christopher’s Cathedral. The Bishop in the Gulf had been very ill, and so a new Bishop was appointed. The new Bishop, however, could not officially begin his service until he was enthroned in Cypress (where he resides) and here in Bahrain. (His full title is The Bishop of Cypress and the Gulf. He basically has two dioceses that he oversees.) So, I was in a little chamber group from the Manama Singers and we sang a nice anthem called “Lead Me Lord” and some descants on certain hymns. The service opened with the Bishop knocking at the door, asking to come in and serve the people and God. Our dean (or pastor), Alan, then let him in and we as a congregation welcomed him. It was a nice way to begin the advent season and celebrate the beginning of new leadership in the church.
I will say that although I love liturgical worship, I haven’t spent a lot of time in the Episcopal tradition, so the whole novelty of a Bishop is a little much for me to wrap my mind around! However, it was nice to celebrate with the entire ecumenical community.
No comments:
Post a Comment