I thought I would write a little tidbit about my first orchestra rehearsal. It was on Friday in a town called Isa Town, at St. Christopher's (Anglican) School. As soon as I got to the school, I was shocked because it looked so much more like a music department then my room does. That's because there are several rooms and an office set apart from these rooms! It's crazy!
Anyway, I am a member of the Manama Singers, a choir here in Bahrain, and I am also joining the Bahrain Concert Sinfonia for our first concert (the concerts are joined). I'm playing second oboe on the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony #3. Let me tell you, it's quite challenging to put together, and we're doing it in 6 rehearsals. The man who is playing first oboe, Jerry, is such an inspiration to me. While I don't know very much about him, I do know that a long time ago, he studied with legendary oboist John Mack. This is quite obvious in his expression and his rounded, dark tone. He went to IU and was a professional oboist for a while and then he got sick of it, so he stopped playing, moved to Saudi Arabia, and has been teaching music there ever since! In the last two years, he decided to pick up the oboe again, and so he drives over from Saudi for our rehearsals.
Let me tell you, it is such an honor to be playing with such a fine oboist. Many of you also know that while I have wanted to teach elementary school music since my sophomore year of college, I have also toyed with the idea of pursuing oboe. Seeing that Jerry has had a career playing oboe, and teaching, makes me see that it is possible. I've resolved never to give up, and if I ever get down about my extremely ambitious goals, someone, please point me to this post to show me that it can be done!
1 comment:
Nice to see you have set up your blogspot. All of the posts have ben interesting and we look forward to seeing more of them in the future. You and your sister are in our thoughts and prayers.
The Buells
Post a Comment