Friday, January 4, 2008

Real World Oman

Well, my friends, I have returned safely to "paradise island" (aka Bahrain.) Unfortunately, while I was away I happened to go to a real paradise: Oman. I arrived with three other friends in Oman and was picked up by Arie and Rena, friends of friends. When we arrived at their house, the house we stayed at, it looked like it could have been a Real World house. If MTV ever does do a Real World Oman, remind me of this post so I can sue for some of the profit!

Anyway, we had such a blast. We were so blessed by Arie and Rena. They went home to the Netherlands and we used their 4WD the entire time we were there. This basically led to us almost never using a road. When we could use a road, we often drove off of it anyway. We were on vacation, after all, and that's what vacation is for!

We did lots of exploring and saw many different things, but the most memorable portions of the trip for me were:
  • Going hiking in a Wadi (like a gorge). If was breathtakingly beautiful!
  • Going camping on the beach. We saw mama sea turtles lay eggs on the beach while we were camping! It was like being on the Discovery channel. We also swam in the sea. Believe it or not, it's too cold to do that in Bahrain right now, so it was awesome to do that in Oman.
  • Going sand boarding. Like snowboarding, except on a sand dune. It's the closest I'll get to doing any winter sport in the next two years...
  • Exploring forts and other little villages.
  • Going snorkeling!

As you can see, it was quite the vacation. As with all good things, it had to come to an end. :(

School starts on Sunday, and I'll have to be a grown-up again. Luckily, a few things from my vacation have stuck. Like, "Off road!", which I love to scream whenever I'm in the car with anyone who drives somewhat off the road. My friends and I also played this crazy-awesome card/board game called "Settlers of Cattan" almost every couple of nights. It's kind of one of those games like "Risk", only a little better because it's far more entertaining. And lastly, I will be eternally thankful when I go into a restroom that 1. has a western-style toilet, 2. is clean (although that is also hard to find in Bahrain), and 3. has toilet paper. I often felt extremely ridiculous getting out of the 4WD, carrying toilet paper for all to see. They could obviously tell where I was headed...

I will attempt to post a picture of the adventures on this blog somewhere.

No comments: